Monday, March 26, 2007

So true

This OPUS cartoon was published in yesterday's comics: http://www.comics.com/wash/opus/index.html

I am already so sick of the run-up to the election, and we aren't even halfway done with 2007. While the media acknowledges that it is ridiculously early in the race to be polling (or even discussing?), they continue to cover (nonstop) the candidates, their speeches, spats, and youtube political ads. I understand that the primaries have been moved even earlier for this election, but come on!

I don't know what to think about the Elizabeth Edwards cancer situation, but I do know that I had no interest in watching the 60 Minutes interview with her and John Edwards last night. Is that callous? Was he simply explaining a very touchy situation, or was he using his wife to get a little more spotlight? Any publicity is good publicity? If that's the case, it's disgusting.

And I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't know if I would vote for Hillary. Maybe I do need the constant media coverage to figure it out. But somehow I don't think so. Instead, I might become so disgusted that I boycott. But what good would that do anybody?

I heard the following report on NPR during my ride home last week. It really boggles the mind how much money is being spent to influence and sway the relatively few people who care at this early stage in the race.

All Things Considered, March 19, 2007 · It may be 11 months before the Iowa caucuses, but presidential campaigns are busy raising — and spending — money. Some of the brightest stars in U.S. politics are plenty busy, as records with the Federal Election Commission show. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy everyone who cares a new car?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8997422

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that piece on NPR too, I was amazed - it's just like the whole Anna Nicole Smith thing -- don't care -- don't want to hear anymore about it.

Anonymous said...

> It really boggles the mind how much money is being spent to influence and sway the relatively few people who care at this early stage in the race.

Sure, it's early. But personally I'm very excited. Not because I know who I want to win, but becaue of how the very process has been turned on end. In the past gross amounts of money were required to run and only those favored by mainstream media had a chance of winning. Now all it takes is a candidate with vision and a $50 digital camera capable of taking video!

www.ExpertVoter.org

Best thing that's happened to the cause of democracy in my lifetime.

gary

officetemporal said...

But doesn't the length of the race make it more, rather than less, expensive for people to be viable candidates?

I agree that youtube has changed the face of the race and is a welcome addition considering the ugliness caused by swiftboaters, etc. in the past.

But what about the anonymity provided by youtube? If these ads are so influential, shouldn't we know who is behind them? Or does it not matter, now that money is no longer such a huge factor?

Anonymous said...

officetemporal,

> But doesn't the length of the race make it more, rather than less, expensive for people to be viable candidates?

In the past where the only option was to purchase TV & radio time, that was true. Maintaining a website and posting position videos on the other hand effectively costs nothing. That's the key advantage of the internet...it's a way of deflating the whole money game.

>But what about the anonymity provided by youtube? If these ads are so influential, shouldn't we know who is behind them?

What ads are you talking about? Myself, I only post videos of the candidate themselves speaking. I even give the candidate the final word on which video is posted.

>Or does it not matter, now that money is no longer such a huge factor?

I'm assuming you're talking about ads like the recent Apple spoof. I don't honestly care who made that one. It's funny, but just not relevant to serious politics. Actually, it's more like the pointless big money ads political organizations commissioned in the past. I suppose they might sway some voters, but certainly not the intelligent ones. And you certainly won't find that sort of silly stuff here...(warning - shameless plug)

www.ExpertVoter.org

The difference is that voters now have more choices on where they get their information.

gary

officetemporal said...

Thanks for sharing your website, Gary. I will continue to check back with it as the election continues!

Anonymous said...

I agree,Hillary is kind of starting to annoy me too. She is just an example of what lots of money and power will get you. Plus she has way too many connections through Bill and has not had it hard at all. Oh and that john edwards thing makes me sick. He should stop being such a narcissist and take care of his terminally ill wife! OBAMA all the way :)