Monday, March 26, 2007

Chicago

Sarah and Judith around the corner from Sarah's apartment.

Sarah and Christy

Sarah and Me waiting for the El

Sarah, the constant in all of these pictures, hosted Christy, Judith, and me at her apartment in Chicago this weekend for a weekend of shopping for bridesmaid's dresses for Christy's upcoming wedding in August. Miraculously, we found a dress at the second store we tried. Unheard of, I know. http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=9794&Product_Id=825110

The rest of the afternoon we spent fighting off the hordes of rich people crazed by the Spring shopping bug who were fighting over button-down shirts at Banana republic's store-wide sale and preppy plaid shorts in JCrew. When our feet couldn't take any more abuse (and we felt like drop-kicking the little girls in braids who were carrying their American Girls dolls in little backpacks, never mind that they looked like they were at least 12 years old), we went to see The Namesake, a movie I would highly recommend. The general consensus among the four of us was that the movie was good, although Sarah liked the book better. Independent of the book, though, the movie was entertaining, touching, and sad. I do agree with Sarah that Gogol might have been a little sexier, but I think Kal Penn did a pretty good job. Here's the NY Times review. http://movies2.nytimes.com/2007/03/09/movies/09name.html?em&ex=1175054400&en=90aef78fa4e1b20d&ei=5087%0A

And here's a link to interviews with Mira Nair and Jhumpa Lahiri conducted on NPR's "Studio 360" that I heard two Sundays ago. http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2007/03/16

We then went out to an Italian restaurant by Sarah's house, went home and crashed. Christy and Judith had us on the road by 6:45am (!), and we were back in Louisville by 1:15pm. A whirlwind tour, but a fun time. Thanks, Sarah :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how they could make a movie anything like the book since the book is totally depressing, yet in a good way. I don't know how to explain it. The book is very true to life and blunt in a way. Therefore I am sure the movie will be very "hollywoodized". However, I am very anxious to see the movie! P.S. do you like my use of transitional and introductory phrases? ;)

officetemporal said...

I agree with your comments. HOWEVER, I still think that you will LOVE the movie... ALTHOUGH, I have been known to be wrong. :)